Have you ever thought about bike racing but never taken the leap?
Come join us for the NEBC Intro to Bike Racing clinic and learn bike handling and basic racing skills to get you on the race course with confidence. NEBC has offered the clinic every spring since 1993. The clinic includes two indoor sessions, four outdoor on-the-bike sessions, a bike repair and maintenance course, beginner Hill Ride and CBTT groups, and a graduation exercise.
**UPDATE** We WILL be offering upgrade points towards your USAC Cat 5 license upgrade to Cat 4*. Please make sure you purchase an annual USAC license and attend both indoor sessions and all four outdoor sessions in order to recieve the upgrade points.
****Reminder**** If you are an adult NEBC member, you get 25% off your entry price. Please contact me for further instructions to receive your discount. Also, please note that dates are tentative and a full refund will be issued upon request if the dates or locations change significantly.
We will cover:
- Bike handling: Cornering; pacelines & double pacelines; riding in close groups; incidental contact.
- Racing skills: Sprinting; time trialing; climbing and descending; starting and finishing.
- Tactics and strategies: Road racing as a team sport; applying team strategies and tactics in race situations; using the race course and your strengths to your advantage.
- Training and equipment: Periodization and specificity; training effort zones; racing bicycles & equipment; maintaining and performance tuning your equipment; proper bike fit.
- Graduation exercise: Wells Ave Criterium where the administrators will host additional races to accommodate the graduates; NEBC instructors will race with you to give pointers.
- Bicycle maintenance: Optional basic bicycle maintenance class offered as part of the clinic.
- Hill ride and CBTT: Optional beginners groups at the Thursday night hill ride and Wednesday night time trial (CBTT).
- You must bring a road bike
- The bike must have: working gears, brakes, and drop bars
- The bike must not have: flat bars, mountain bike tires, aero bars, bike rack, or fixed gear
- You must wear a cycling-specific helmet
- It is strongly recommended that you have a pair of cycling specific shoes and pedals
An annual USAC bicycle racing license or four one day licenses are required for participation. Please get your annual license here and select the $70 competitive racer option (price is reduced for juniors). Please contact me if you prefer to use the daily license option.
Arlington Fox Library
175 Massachusetts Ave
April 18th and 25th
7:00PM – 9:00PM
94 Jackson Road, Devens, MA
April 22nd and 29th; May 6th and 13th
10:00AM – 1:00PM
ARRIVE BY 9:30AM
Wells Ave Racing, Newton, MA
Sunday May 21st (Tentative)
Bike repair and maintenance class (free) on Wednesday May 3rd - 7PM location TBD
Hill Ride (free) beginner group tentatively scheduled for Thursday May 10th or 17th - 6PM in Burlington MA
Time Trial (CBTT - additional cost) beginner group tentatively scheduled for Wednesday May 10th or 17th - 5:30PM in Concord MA
The clinic is open to the first 60 participants, no waiting list will be created. Registration closes April 12th 2017. Carpool may be available on request from Alewife T station and from Ayer T station. Contact us for more details on carpool options.
Contact and additional info:
Email: Jessica.eckhardt AT gmail.com
Event Link: http://nebc.us/racing-clinic/
Event Flyer: To be posted
*USAC annual race license is required to receive upgrade points. Four upgrade points will be awarded to Annual license holders who attend both indoor sessions as well as all four outdoor sessions.
** Paperwork must be completed prior to first indoor session. I will be available to meet in person ahead of time if participants have difficulty getting the paperwork to me electronically or by mail.