The 10th Original Growler
?The 2017 Half Growler is sold out. There is a waitlist at BikeReg.com. The only sure way to experience the Half Growler in 2017 is to register for Sunday's Half, which uses the exact same course.
May 27-28, 2017
Brought to you by Gunnison Trails and presented by Ergon and powered by SRAM. The Original Growler is the primary fundraiser for Gunnison Trails, a Colorado 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Gunnison Trails is dedicated to maintaining and expanding the singletrack experience in the Gunnison area including working toward building the Gunnison to Crested Butte trail. All proceeds from the Original Growler benefit Gunnison Trails.
NEW FOR 2017
- MORE SINGLETRACK - We have shuffled the course deck and added the new Graceland trails (which your entry fees helped to build), losing the Powerlines Road and the pavement of Gold Basin Road. Apologies, but this additional singletrack just made the Growler a little bit harder!
- MIDDLE AND HIGH SCHOOL CATEGORIES FOR THE HALF GROWLER AND SUNDAY'S HALF - 8th grade and younger; high school freshman/sophamore; high school junior/senior (each as of fall 2017)
- KIDS RACES - We are adding kids races on both Saturday and Sunday. From striders to solid climbers and descenders who are not quite ready for the Half Growler, we have the youngsters covered.
For ten years, the Original Growler has not wavered from our guiding principal of asking you to trade your hard earned dollars for three things:
1) An awesome day on the bike. The Growler offers a challenging, singletrack heavy mountain biking experience on some of the finest trails on the planet.
2) A killer party. Food, drink and camaraderie, post race, in downtown Gunnison (for those that still have some party left in them!)
3) Top shelf trails, both existing and developing. Regardless of where you live, you become a stakeholder in Gunnison area trails as every penny of your entry fee goes directly to the 501c3 not for profit, Gunnison Trails, and Gunnison Trails’ mission is focused solely on improving and expanding area trails.
The Original Growler showcases most of the trails at the Hartman Rocks recreation area on BLM public lands. “Hartman’s,” as we call it, was chosen as one of the top 20 mountain biking destinations on BLM lands and offers a one-of-kind trail riding experience. If you have ridden Hartman’s, you know all about the magic of these high desert trails.
If you haven’t, you owe it to yourself as an experienced mountain biker to test your skills and fitness on the trails at Hartman Rocks. You’ll be forced to alternate relentlessly between fast and flow in seas of sagebrush and tricky and technical through weathered and twisted juniper on islands of granite and in the many micro canyons that pock this primal landscape. While there are no big climbs and the total vertical gain isn’t remarkable, the seesaw nature of the Growler course is a supreme test of all around mountain biking. Go ahead, commit. But be prepared to challenge your mind, your body and your skills.
- Saturday May 27, 2017, The Half-Growler, around 32-miles on the dirt* (limited to 350 riders)
- May 28, 2017, The Full-Growler, around 64-miles on the dirt*
- Sunday May 28, 2017, Sunday's Half Growler, around 32-miles on the dirt* (Sunday starters limited to 350 riders)
Pro prize money is undetermined at this point.
THE ORIGINAL GROWLER IS A DIFFICULT RACE. NO BEGINNERS, PLEASE!
The Original Growler is a tough, singletrack heavy affair and is for experienced mountain bikers only. Riders must possess the skills and judgment necessary to assess technical, difficult and challenging trails and roads and get up, down, over and through them safely. This says nothing about the fitness that is required simply to ride this course. Additionally, the Growler is a backcountry race so you could be far from medical help if you get injured. Please come to Gunnison prepared!
Registration opens at 8pm MDT Thursday December 1st, 2016.
Refunds and Transfers: The Original Growler’s only reason for existence - along with offering you an epic challenge and an amazing experience - is to raise money for Gunnison area trails, trail advocacy and other local non-profits.
2017 Refund Policy: Full refunds are available until March 31, 2017 at midnight. Refunds will only be granted if we receive an email at email@example.com prior to this date and time. In this email you can also request a partial refund, contributing an amount of your choice to the Gunnison Trails cause. Thanks in advance for that!
From April 1, 2017 to May 17, 2017 at midnight, a full refund, less a $25 contribution to Gunnison Trails, is available. Again, you must email us at firstname.lastname@example.org within this time period and you can also contribute more than $25 if you choose, just let us know in your email.
Apologies, but there will be no refunds after May 17, 2017. However, check out our transfer policy below as we will allow transfers until May 24, 2017.
Transfers: Transfers will be allowed until May 24, 2017 at midnight. We have set up our registration platform at bikereg.com to allow users to edit their registration. This will allow you to log on and change categories, team name, rider's name and contact details, etc. This will allow you to transfer your entry to another rider. You will need a rider to transfer to and this will be more difficult if the event isn't sold out. If a category sells out, we will provide a forum for riders selling or looking to buy an entry.
Full Original Growler details are at our website HERE
The third ORIGINAL MEOWLER mountain duathlon and MINI MEOWLER will take place Sunday May 21, 2017. Click HERE for MEOWLER details and registration.
2017 Sage Burner Trail Running Races are Saturday May 20, 2017. http://sageburnertrailrun.com